15/08/2013

TRULY INSPIRING: Ai Weiwei at AGO


It's not often that we get to see an exhibition of a current artist. Current in every sense: he's alive and his art is current, it's news, it's protest, it's what today's art should be all about. He is a true inspiration, to everyone who has a voice, believes and fights for freedom of speech, and is angry at how some countries govern... of course it touches my soul, my roots... my country is facing one of it's darkest times and I feel there isn't much I can do. But going to Ai Weiwei's exhibition at AGO last night, after having watched the documentary (which was great because we knew more about the artist, his background, and the reasons why he's so controversial and relevant), I ask myself: is there really nothing I can do? I must think of something!

It was hard to pin point a favourite piece, each packed with so much meaning and deep social content.
1. cardboard statue of the artist and a texture from one of the pieces (using rescued wood from ancient dynasty temples)
2. detail of "Grapes". Interesting shadows on the ground...
3. serpent made with backpacks (in honour of the children who died in the 2008 earthquake in China)
4. "Remembrance" and "Straight" are two of the stronger pieces that also honour the lives of the lost children (sound: voices naming each of the 10,000 victims). Very powerful.
5. Installation of animal heads from the Chinese zodiac in Nathan Phillips Square-Toronto.




No comments:

Post a Comment